Is Your Home’s Electrical Safe?

Do-it-yourself is great if you know what you’re doing, but when it comes to residential electrical repair and electrical maintenance, the job is best left to a professional. Electricity is nothing to mess with; small mistakes can have serious consequences. However, as an Asheville, NC, homeowner, there are steps you can take to keep your electrical system as safe as possible.

Eleven Way to Keep Your Home Electrically Safe

  • Take care of your cords. Frayed and worn electrical cords should be replaced. Keep cords away from heater vents, and do not secure electrical cords with staples. Make sure that all plugs fit snugly into outlets. Replace any appliances and light fixtures with frayed or damaged cords.
  • Do not put out electrical fires with water. Instead, turn off the power supply and use a fire extinguisher.
  • Don’t touch any electrical devices with wet hands. This includes all switches and appliances. Keep portable appliances away from tubs, showers and swimming pools so they don’t fall in the water.
  • Don’t plug too many appliances into wall sockets and extension cords. This could cause overheating and start a fire.
  • Beware of appliances that spark, overheat, smoke or short out. Replace these appliances immediately and do not use them again.
  • Never remove the third prong from any appliance. This could result in an electrical shock.
  • Don’t use light bulbs if their wattage exceeds the recommended wattage for that fixture. It could cause the light fixture to overheat.
  • Keep all wiring behind switches and outlets covered. Install safety covers so that no wiring is visible. If you have outlet or switch covers that are cracked or damaged, replace them.
  • Check switches and outlets periodically to see if they feel hot. If so, schedule an electrical safety check with an Asheville, NC. electrician as soon as possible. Wiring within walls can wear thin and start a fire.
  • If you don’t already have them, install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlets in any location where water is present. This includes bathrooms, kitchen sink areas, outdoor outlets and laundry room outlets. GFCI outlets turn off the power if an appliance that’s plugged into the outlet gets wet. This protects you from getting shocked.
  • Pay attention to blown fuses, tripped circuit breakers, shocks and hot switches. These events are always cause for concern. Call an Asheville, NC, licensed electrician as soon as possible.

Local Electrical Repair Services

Although DIY electrical work is a bad idea, you can use these tips to keep your home safe. For electrical repairs and electrical maintenance in Hendersonville, Asheville and Candler, NC, call on our pros at Nicholson Company.

Share this post